Friday, August 24, 2012

The Blog: Is It Worth My Time?

After all, I could be busy with bioengineering hoping to create the elixir of life.

There are 3 questions that must be answered:

1. Who, if anyone, reads The Experience-Free Opinion? It's hard to say. Are there page views? Blogger says so. But a page view is different from a reading, much less an analysis or understanding. The material is certainly deep, the posts are wordy and filled with complex or abstract thinking that any given passerby may not have interest enough to examine further.
2. Are readers (assuming they're out there) getting 'something' out of their reading? Most of my opinions are favored by very few. Anarcho-capitalism, even minimalism in government, which topics are found in the majority of posts, are uncommon ideas to the general public. Most people like to read material they agree with. And if they do read it, and find it nothing but completely absurd, was their time reading, and my time composing, honestly well-spent?
3. Are the answers to questions 1 and 2 significant enough to make writing blog posts worth my time? It takes a lot of time. And a lot of brainpower. It's exhausting and fairly difficult to do. That said, the challenge is also entertaining, on a personal level, and there's gain to be had aside from other's reading, but this benefit alone is not enough. Composing my thoughts is a pretty good idea, but the time spent to make them easily (or at least more easily) understood by others is a great deal of time indeed, time spent for the benefit of others who, if not significant in quantity, may not be worth my efforts.

SO I ASK YOU NOW, AS A READER, leave a comment- on this post, on my facebook page (if posting here isn't working out for you) or at my email address- jacob.oveson@gmail.com and answer these questions for me: Do you read The Experience-Free Opinion on a regular or semi-regular basis? Are you getting 'something' out of your reading? Would you like me to continue making posts?

I value your appreciation, the appreciation of each of you, highly- and I understand that this is still a fledging blog, and I don't expect a host of respondents.

Should I get just 3 people to post in one of these manners, with the answers: Yes, I read your blog (on a regular or semi-regular basis), Yes, I get 'something' out of my reading (even if it's not much) and Yes, I would like to continue seeing posts, then the blog will continue. If not, I'll have to reconsider.
 Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment